Thursday 9 March 2017

Fulfilment!

Five monsoons ago,
I was a tiny branch
Just a green twig
Of a mango tree.
My father cut me out,
Whittled my base
Made a slit upon the stem
Of a fresh mango plant,
Inserted me therein,
Tied me secure
Covered me with polythene.

At first, I fought
My only thought
To escape the strange sion
And the seedling fought back,
Trying to push me out
All to no avail
We were too solidly tied.
Soon we realized
One cannot live
Without the other
A marriage of convenience
Grafted by our maker!

The sion spread out the roots
Gathered water and nourishment
While I sprouted new leaves
Cooked food in sunlight
And both of us,
Soon grew as one!
We worked as one,
We were one!

And as I grew,
My father re - potted me
In ever larger poly bags
Year after year.
I grew up, healthy and strong
Brought forth many mangoes
Sweet and juicy
A gift for my maker,
A labour of love
I was so happy,
My father watered me daily
He picked off the caterpillars
Which strove to feast on my leaves
Manure, he did give
And he uprooted the weeds.

I was so happy
Yet a strange longing
Took possession of my heart.
If only I could move,
Run down to the earth would I
Push my roots in deep
And my leaves up into the sky!
As my papa came to me,
Watering can in hand,
I opened up my heart,
He only smiled.

Two days passed
I could hear him digging,
Striking the hard earth
With spade again and again.
The third morn came
And with it, five hefty men.
They put me on a rug,
Hauled me down the stairs.
With my father in the lead,
Gently, ever so gently,
He cut off the poly bag,
They lowered me into the sod
And laughing, just marched away!

My papa filled the hole
With manure and with earth
Pressing it down gently
He showered me with water cool!
Full of joy and gratitude
My world has turned to heaven!

A strange bliss fills my being
I can realize my dreams
Anchor myself deep and wide,
Spread my branches afar.
Birds will come to nest on me,
Kids to pluck my fruit.
Many a luscious fruit shall I bear
Many a joyous smile shall I gather,
And fulfill my destiny! ❤



Comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...