Tuesday 16 July 2019

Know These?


Wild Malabar plums from a tree in our garden.


Though the fruits of ഞാറ (pronounced njara in Malayalam), Syzgium Jambos, are small, and not very fleshy, they are sweet and medicinal, particularly in treating diabetes.


It is a relative, or perhaps an ancestor of the Malabar plum/Java plum/Black plum (Syzgium Cumini), commonly known as Jamun or Jambul in English, or ഞാവൽ പഴം (pronounced njaval pazham in Malayalam), which is the commercially cultivated variety. The njara seeds and fruits are used in the manufacture of ayurvedic medicines.


Birds love to feast on these berries, but the tree produces such a bumper crop that there are always plenty left over. This attractive evergreen tree has small, dark green leaves, and when it blooms, it is surrounded by a cloud of wild bees for over a week, and their buzzing can be heard from quite a distance. Definitely, a must for your garden!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mr Kini,

    just discovered your post and loved them. Thank you.

    This beautiful tree is the Syzygium occidentale I am guessing, and is as you mentioned a wild relative of the cumini. It is on the UN endangered list and very rare.
    Please sir would you be able to sell some seeds to me. will pay you by DD or any mode of your choice.
    my mail ID: girijabhaskar5@gmail.com
    would deeply appreciate a reply.
    Thank you
    Girija Bhaskar


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Girija Bhaskar,

      I'd be happy to give you polybag plants free of cost. I've emailed you with more details.

      Warm regards,
      Giridhar.

      Delete
  2. Hello Mr.Giridhar,

    Really happy to see your vlog and the Njaara plant you have in your backyard! I have eaten plenty of it during my childhood days. Recently, I was searching for this plant so as to grow one in my backyard and to my surprise, it’s not found anywhere around! Finally, google helped me in landing on your vlog. Your effort in maintaining the Njaara plant is highly appreciable. I will be really happy if you could sell/share a few seeds/saplings to me.
    Looking forward to your reply.
    Regards,
    Nithin Chacko Thomas
    Email: nithinct@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nithin,

    I am happy that you liked the post. I shall gladly give you a few plants of Njaara. Do visit at your early convenience. For location and other details, please visit our website, https://sharanyam.com .

    Warm regards,

    Giridhar Raj Kini.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...